"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Friday, April 21, 2017

Simplicity 1916

I have two favorite shirts from Target that are faux wrap t-shirts.  I've had them for at least 9 or 10 years and I finally decided if I can love something that long, I might need more.  When I received my amazingly vibrant knit from Opulent Monsters (available here), I knew I wanted to make something special that would get a lot of wear and see more than just my closet.
I started looking at all the Simplicity and Vogue and McCalls new Spring releases, hoping to find the perfect knit wrap top pattern, but all to no avail.  Lo and behold, when tidying my sewing room (which I almost never do), I came across Simplicity 1916, already cut to my size and ready to go.  I honestly can't even remember purchasing this pattern, much less cutting it!  I usually don't cut a pattern size from the tissue unless I've got the fabric and I'm ready to sew it, but I really don't think I ever sewed this one up.


Little did my past self know that she was doing my future self a great service since I have very little extra time these days.  It was meant to be.


I was pretty concerned that I had sewn the two crossing pieces of the shirt in a mismatched way after I finished because the shirt will not lay flat.  It looks completely distorted on a hanger or on the floor, but once it stretches over my body, all is well.


I could do without the little detail on the side.  I'm pretty sure it's not even noticeable when I'm wearing the shirt.  It doesn't add that much time or extra difficulty to the pattern, though, so I don't have to be mad at anyone for not noticing. 


This fabric is not a lightweight, drapey knit, so the two layers on the front with all the gathers feels pretty thick and a bit stiff, but I like that it masks my three-baby pooch.  This would be a great pattern to use those thinner, cheap knits on that don't really seem to be good for much else.  In fact, I might venture to buy the next cute, lightweight, $5 a yard knit that strikes my fancy since I have a pattern that could make it look good.


I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I LOVE nail polish and I paint my nails almost once a week, sometimes more often.  This past Christmas, I asked my husband for nail polish.  That's it.  Specifically, nail polish from KB Shimmer.  I picked 6 or 7 polishes and I haven't been disappointed in any of them.  This one is called Neon Me and you can find it here.  Go look at the pictures on the KB Shimmer website.  So.  Pretty.  



1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara
    I am making this top too and found your blog while I was looking for helpful hints. I love the pattern on your fabric, so bright and colourful. I am using a lightweight, very stretchy jersey so I will see how mine turns out.
    It was good to make contact across the world with a fellow Christian who loves to sew.
    I also look forward to seeing your "May Makes". I am taking part in the challenge for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete